Friday, April 2, 2010

The Bathroom, Revealed

It is amazing what the right paint color can do for a room. 

I had a couple people try to dissuade me from having the bathroom walls painted a steely gray (Sherwin Williams' Pewter Cast), coughcough*like my brother*coughcough, because "they" thought the room would be too dark and dreary. And I imagine that is the case in many rooms.  Thankfully this space has the right amount of incoming light from east-facing window and it contains a great abundance of "white" from the cabinets, the closet doors and the main door both of which help offset the paint's coolness.

Plus I think the gray walls look perfect with all of the silver touches the room already contains, like the faucets, the cabinet handles and the detailing on the light fixtures.

I added pops of yellow throughout the room with the rug, a large vase, canisters that house q-tips and cotton balls, candles and hand towels.

I cozied up some the open space on the counter with baskets holding additional hand towels and some homemade soaps in delicious scents like Sangria and Citrus.

I decided on a white shower curtain instead of a patterned one, mainly because I liked the simpleness of it.  Plus it gave me the opportunity of adding patterns elsewhere, such as in the window treatments and the art.  Also, I thought the slight ruffled texture of the shower curtain provided the right touch of sweetness to the coolness of the walls.

The curtains I made myself by using a coordinating Amy Butler fabric and following the same design as the previous window treatments.

The "art" is also diy, simply by matting and framing pieces of fabric. 

Another finished room that I am so very proud of.  I spend a lot of time thinking about which colors will work in each space (it was especially tough in the bathroom because of the bluish tiled floor), how those colors will flow with the house, how the style reflects my family's personality and of course convincing Clay that our money will be best spent updating the space.  And speaking of a budget, I try and do as much of the decorating myself (I love a good diy project) and scoping out the best deals on items by shopping at budget stores like TJ Maxx, Target and second-hand shops.  The payoff is so very worth it; this space is now much more modern and a lot more "us".

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio